The Role of the School Council:
Consult with the principal to ensure students have opportunities to meet Ministry standards, fiscal management is sound and the community’s expectations are taken into consideration during school-based planning.
- Advise the principal and the school board.
- Consult with other school councils and provincial organizations.
- Communicate information to the school community.
- Focus on the best interests of all students.
What School Councils are Not:
It is important to be mindful, that as with all partners in education, there are limits to the work that can be done by a school council.
Roles that are not to be taken on by a school council include:
- School governance
- Employment issues
- School management
- Listening to complaints
- It is not the primary role of school councils to fundraise or lobby.
The membership of the School Council shall consist of the following:
- Parents of students enrolled in Iron Ridge Campus
- Principal of the school
- Teachers of the school
- Member of the community
For more information contact Nolan Krauss or Holly Tomyn - Co-Principals of IRJC at 403.885.1885.